Armour's Red Boiling Springs Hotel
The Armour's Red Boiling Springs Hotel is a two-story native brick structure built in 1924 by attorney John Smith and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was first called Smith's Brick Hotel, being the first brick hotel structure in town. Later, and for most of its existence, it was known as the Counts Hotel. In 1991, Brenda and Bobby Thomas renamed the hotel of today. Unfortunately, throughout the years, the conditions had deteriorated slightly. Desires to preserve Red Boiling Springs' history motivated the Thomas' to purchase the hotel. Immediately beginning renovation of the building continued their efforts to help revitalize the healing tradition of the area for any year-round guest.
The Armour's is now owned by Dennis and Debra Emery. They assumed ownership August 29, 2008, from Laban and Reba Hilton who owned and operated the hotel since 1999. Dennis and Debra have embarked on a complete refurbishment and redecoration of the hotel and invite you to come and share their home and see the improvements!
Armour’s Hotel has one of the only mineral bathhouses still operating in Tennessee, coupled with the availability of Licensed Massage Therapists. Advance notice is required for massage therapy.
Neighboring Historic Hotels in Red Boiling Springs
The Thomas House
Originally named The Cloyd Hotel, a 30 room frame building was destroyed by fire just after the turn of the century. The Cloyd's rebuilt the hotel, this time larger and more magnificent than before. The Cloyd now had 54 guest rooms, each with a European Water closet, a luxury that few hotels in the south had. There was at one time a bathhouse, an open-air bowling alley, a swimming pool, and a nine-hole golf course. Today the Thomas House is owned by the Thomas family.
The Donoho Hotel
The first hotel on the site was built by a man named Whitley in the early part of the 1900s and was called the Whitley house. One of the Whitley's daughters later married a man called Donoho and they ran the second hotel built on the site. When Donoho died, Tennie, another of Whitley's daughters, married B. W. Chitwood and they operated the hotel, built in 1914 that stands today. The Chitwoods sold to Ed Hagan in 1955, and much restoration was done to the building. The hotel sold again in 1970 and yet again in 1974 to the Walsh family. Ms. Walsh operated the hotel until 1993 when it was sold to Jeff and Talisa Cowden and children, Micah and Zachary. The hotel is presently owned by a family from Murfreesboro, Tennessee.